Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

PTG
Casual Contributor

Arch enemies?

Hi, I'm new here,  I'm wondering if any long time carers have a similar experience to mine... and how they deal with it :

My wife with BPD is referring to some of my family and friends as her “Arch enemies”

If I spend time with them it often triggers dysregulated emotions.

As a carer, I would like to avoid triggers,

And as a carer, I want to look after my own mental health & have healthy relationships with my family and friends.

I appreciate your thoughts

thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Arch enemies?

Hi @PTG 

This must be an incredibly tiring situation and I'm glad you've reached out here. There are many here who are also carers so I hope you will find some support. I'm going to tag a few members for you 😊

@Shaz51 @tyme @Smc @Determined @Anastasia @Faith-and-Hope 

Hi @PTG and welcome to the forums 👋

It can be really difficult as a Carer to prioritise your own well-being and self-care.  There is an inbuilt caution to knowing that if, as a Carer you reach a point of burnout, there are now two to-be-cared-for people and no Carer for either of them …..

The saying, “apply your own oxygen mask first” is really important to remember, so apt.  It may be helpful for you to visit a counsellor and work out your own boundaries and create strategies to prioritise and uphold them.  If you are a highly empathetic person it it easy to just keep giving and giving of all your time, efforts and energy until you run dry.  We have the ability to replenish, but only with boundaries and supports for ourselves.

”Who is caring for the Carer ??!”

Sending you a virtual hug.

F&H

Thank you for posting @PTG ,

I can definitely relate to what you are describing.

I can provide a bit of insight into what MAY be triggered in the brain of a borderline (please note this is not the same for all those diagnosed with BPD. I am writing from experience).

When a loved one spends time with their own friends, a borderline's automatic thought pattern and emotions go into overdrive. "He cares for them more than me, so wants to spend time with them", "I'm not good enough", "I'm too bad, and that's why he'd rather spend time with others" - all of which align with the BPD trait, FEAR of ABANDONMENT.

There is so much insecurity within, that a co-dependence is formed and your wife cannot live without you there all the time (or knowing where you are or what you are doing).

I remember a BPD therapist mentioning the idea of 'intense jealous'. This is not a malicious or intentional jealousy. It stems from living in a world where everything seems out of control, so they want to hang on to someone stable (for security).

I'd encourage you to have a browse through:

Topic Tuesday // Supporting loved ones living with BPD // Tuesday 25th January, 7pm-8:30pm AEDT 

LIVE CHAT: BPD for Friends, Family and Carers - This Sunday 3rd October 7:00-8:30pm AEDT 

Raising Awareness of BPD - Flipping the Script 

This may give you more insight. Please reach out if you have any other BPD-related questions.

tyme

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance