Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

JPJohno
Casual Contributor

a truth telling

‘Truly trivial’ Sunday 30 October 22

MY SECOND SERVIETTE flew off my table. 

I tried with little effort to catch it as it floated onto the ground. 

Upon delivery of my delicious French fries with garlic aioli I’d been holding out for.

And so within this interesting enclosed courtyard, I found a conglomerate of locals enjoying their friends and lover’s company. With companion dogs under foot, barking as distractions indicated for them. While the male and female casually dressed bar attendants shimmered in between the tables collecting leftover food plates and discarded schooner glasses of empty beer. 

The first tall chair I was to sit on was wobbled, the second chair and last one at this small high table was just right. 

As I eased into obvious singularity of one, in a group of many. Then did I start to see clearly and observe my fellow humans in truly trivial form.  

At my local Hotel this sunny Spring Sunday afternoon, while deeply engaged in his book. For it was quite the effort not too. 

I was reading my newly purchased fictional novel; ‘my heat is a little wild thing’ that my high school friend had published.

This his third novel that NGF, on the first page wrote a note to me with his fast scribble only writer’s practice; “looking forward to our next outdoor bushwalking adventures”. As I enjoy my vodka & cranberry juice in this busy outdoor seating of prime realestate.

I was alone yet connected.

Distance but contributing to this socially diverse environment. 

And just at this moment in time, I looked up to witness and connect in a family’s moving. 

With my reading glasses on producing a vision of blurry between the spaces of chairs and tables, did this woman say to me: ‘I’m just going to move your chair, so our pram can get through’ Did I respond? yes; ‘No problem, it’s not my chair, feel free to move it as you need.’ Her face lit up, with my funny response, as the wobbly chair was moved.

As for the second serviette, that floated into the floor, did a patron collect. A man in his thirties with his partner or perhaps his lover. I couldn’t tell. drinking and playing a word game called ‘bananas’ shaking the bag that held the alphabet squares, triggering a mild twinge in my body of social anxiety.

For he and his partner were joyfully having fun.

My second serviette he then placed on their table. Then in a deliciously deliberate stretching of his masculine body directly in front of me; did he then walk away. Only to return exactly as the female casual bar attendant brushed past him and he said ‘ I’m coming back to finish my beer’ as he delicately folded and placed my serviette over his schooner of beer. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: a truth telling

Hi @JPJohno Thank you so much for sharing, so poetically written. 😊

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance