Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Casablanca
Casual Contributor

Self compassion

• Hi I am a new member.  Bit apprehensive to be joining your group, probably too old to be here. I have a big need to learn to be self compassionate to enable me to survive in my 50 years DV marriage.  Please don't say why am I still in it, as some people do.  I just need to know I am not alone
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Self compassion

Welcome @Casablanca 

I was apprehensive when I joined as well. I myself am struggling with MH issues and have found this group to be very supportive. I have discovered that I am not alone.

I grew up in a DV environment, however not physical but mental, and my parents are still together after 50 yrs.

I hope these forums help you to start to find the self compassion that you a looking for. 

Captain24

Dear @Casablanca ,

No, you are definitely not too old to be joining our forums.

Welcome! I'm sure there are others who can empathise with what you are going through.

I'm sorry to hear you are facing DV in your marriage.

I'd urge you to contact 1800RESPECT (1800 737 732). You deserve better. 

Do you have anyone you can speak to? It is important you are safe.

If in immediate danger, please contact 000.

tyme

Hello @Casablanca 

@tyme, and @Captain24 

I am definitely in that upper age bracket, @Casablanca , and there are other older members who actively participate here in the forum also.

From what I have seen "learning to be self compassionate" whatever our background, experience and present position is a key theme among many members. I am still learning those skills also. I hope that we will be able to share some ideas that fit or can be applied in our own particular circumstances.

The apprehension about knowing what to say, and how much, is a bit of a hurdle when we first join the forum. A way of initially engaging is to offer some fairly neutral self observations about interests and situation. In this way, others can connect with the information that you have offered. As you get to know members, you will know those with whom you will feel more comfortable and connected and with whom you may share more personal information and exchange ides that will, hopefully be helpful. You have probably gathered that the forum is clear on protecting our own identity by connecting with non-personalised information. But that leaves plenty of range for discussion.

When you respond to someone else, You can alert them to your response using the following steps:

1. In the reply box enter the @ symbol, which will present a drop down flag with the names of up to about seven members who have most recently participated in the thread.

2. Click on the names of the people you wish to alert.

3. You will need to type the symbol @ for the flag to be re-presented for selection of each additional name.

4. When you have selected addresses of people you wish to alert, you can then add your message and Post. The members, whose names you have selected, will receive a note alerting them to your message in their "Your Notifications" box

We can look at other functions of the forum as you become more comfortable. If you ever want assistance, you can just say so from wherever you are and someone is likely to offer their support fairly quickly, depending on whose logged in.

Welcome to the forum @Casablanca 

With Best Wishes

@HenryX 

You are definitely not alone.

You are so brave to reach out @Casablanca Well done.

You are not alone, as you can see from the responses of other members. You deserve compassion from yourself & others, & not to be judged.

Welcome to the forums & thankyou for sharing this part of your story.

I don't have any training on how to approach this topic with you. I don't want to say the wrong thing. I hope this forum can help you & you will continue to reach out.

Of course you are welcome to post as much, or as little as you like. I find expressing myself can be healing.

Please also take note of @tyme suggestions. Your safety is most important.

Kind regards maddison

@Captain24 @HenryX @tyme 

I'm back, struggled with how to use this site. I Can't stop crying, I Have my visit tomorrow with social counsellor then Thursday my second (secret) phone hook up with DV counsellor.  I'm not crazy just codependent.  But that has just about finished.

As I mentioned in first message to your group about my spouse.

My story is so long to write. But I want to try and let you all know what trauma I am stuck in.

He is 73 along with being a narcissist he also has Alzheimer's,. Probably about stage 5.

I am also caring for a absolutely beautiful daughter 34 years, lives with us, is austism spectrum, interlectual disorder and other numerous medical conditions.

One of my spouse's traits is non parental narcasissm which means my children have also succumbed to Domestic violence, so suffering child hood trauma.

Hi @Casablanca I'm sorry to hear what you're dealing with. It sounds very traumatic. 

I'm glad to see you have some supports in place with the social worker and DV counsellor tomorrow. Let us know how that goes for you.

I'm wondering if it would be helpful to reach out to the helpline on 1800 187 263 tonight or crisis support if things escalate for you? It sounds like you're understandably upset and I wish there was more I could do, but very limited here. 

Is there anything the normally helps you to feel more at ease?

I'm sorry things are so hard. Sitting with you 💝

@Paperdaisy 

Thanks, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Eg walking on eggshells.

This sitting in sunroom having a coffee, he went outside for something, came back in and said in his demanding, controlling voice, "why did you put that orange plant by garage(I did move it there yesterday)" "because I wanted too" " its no got there you should have left it where it was" I mumbled"Jesus " which I have never said before.

Immediately he retorted back " don't say Jesus, just do it right"

It was pure anger in his voice.

It isn't fair @Casablanca and you deserve to be treated with respect. I'm sorry you're experiencing that.

I'm wondering if you took @tyme advice and were able to speak to someone at 1800 RESPECT? If you feel unsafe it's important to call 000. 

Please let us know how you go tomorrow. Wishing you all the best 💝

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance