Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

ClockFace
Senior Contributor

Pain Killers and Managing Medical Appointments

Well I got some sleep, it was broken but a decent amount. I decided that I would take my night meds and sleep them off, when I woke up Id take my pain killers, I woke up again a few hours later, I was up for a bit but soon back to bed for a few more hours. Not an ideal sleep but a good sleep for me at the moment.

The pain killers would have worn off by now, I took them at like 11pm and its 10am and pain is manageable. I have plenty spare if it gets worse but I am hopeful that I dont have to take them during the day. Im not pain killer adverse, I mean Ive been on them most my adult life but when they get in the way of life I dont like them.

Dad's gone to Church, its his thing, I no longer get it, we went as kids and I was involved in my late 20's but not anymore. Im not opposed to people attending but Ive had too many negative experiences and my psychotic features are very religious based so yeah not my thing. Im looking around the kitchen, he is doing his best but so much left undone. I want to get up and sort it out but cautious that I dont over do it but at the same time I dont want to be too cautious. At some point I have to start bending over and it might as well be while I have decent pain meds.

Not being able to help with Mum and my sister is really bugging me. Like having a break is good but Im putting it all on Dad and he clearly isnt coping. I mean the puppy keeps crapping at night and its doing Dads head in. I should clarify the puppy is more a dog now, Mum just didnt actually do any house training while my sister has been in hospital. She got him shortly before going in the first time. Dad just wants to go out the back and work on a project but he cant or if he can its briefly, its Dads thing. We all get annoyed about it cause theres stuff to do inside as well but he likes to be outside.

Im trying to do little bits and pieces as I write this. I raised the container where bottles and cans are stored before going out to the big bins to go get refunded, so I emptied that. I dropped a bottle and had to pick it up and that wasnt pleasent. So the idea of emptying the dishwasher is out the window, but maybe I can do the top drawer, the cuttlery etc. I did go into town this morning and get my smokes and some drinks, Dad doesnt like getting my smokes but it meant it was something he didnt need to do. I have asked him to get my fizzzy drink from Woolies for me while he is there. Where I can Im going in and doing what I can while being safe, ofcourse.

Being heavily restricted is really hard, its hard mentally. What bothers me is that this procedure lasts 6-9 months. Its supposed to be a 48hr recovery time and its much longer already and Im going to have to repeat it over and over (on the provision it works), hows that going to impact my job. I mean thats a fair bit of regular time off, and I do that now. Though, maybe being in no pain Ill be off work less.

Ive organised a few long appointments with my GP coming up, they're hard to get but I scored a few to organise some stuff that I have been putting off because of more important things. Stuff that I have wanted to deal with a long time ago that wasnt vital. I wont have regular appointments for pain meds anymore and I wont have as many pain meds either so, if I can afford it with the Psychiatrist Im planning on going to see a physio. 22 years of pain and not moving correctly, I imagine my core is pretty weak and muscles not right so hopefully I can correct a few things and they stay corrected. Atleast getting my core sorted might help maintain the procedure and pain for a longer period. Again though it will be affordability and prioritising what needs to be treated first.

It does seem that I am constantly prioritising medical needs, sure if I give up smoking it would mean I could do more, but I have so little in my life I enjoy, the 5 or 6 minutes where I am left alone, even my sister respects that time when she is at home. Its not much but its all I have and I know that I need a positive thing in my life to enjoy but so far that alludes me. I dont know how to find it, I mean SANE forums are there but it doesnt hit the spot, it hits a spot but its not the same.

I have a list, like a shopping list, in fact it is a shopping list as I use a shopping list app and I basically prioritise what I need to be seen about and move down the list. When it comes to an appointment I take a list of what I expect will take the length of the appointment time, sometimes (often) I go over. next appointment I do the same thing, just stuff has probably be added inbetween time. My goal is to get to the end of that list and have no more to add. I do hope others dont have that method.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Pain Killers and Managing Medical Appointments

Hearing you @ClockFace .

There's so much going on for you right now. I hope you find some space for yourself tonight. Maybe your sister will just have to wait in terms of you getting clothes. After all, hospitals DO have spare clothes, toothbrushes, combs, soap etc... if worse comes to worse.

Sometimes, it's about just setting those boundaries.

Sitting with you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance