Skip to main content
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Mindful Mondays: New activity every Monday

This is so creative, I love it! @flybluebird 

Hi @flybluebird @Daisydreamer @cloudcore and others here!

Whilst I’m unable to complete the nature mandala due to lack of items/materials accessible to me, I did think that this would be great to do if you lived near a beach or river/creek where you could gather up shells, rocks or stones and mix the design in with dirt or sand and get creative that way. I know I would love to be near the water and hear the sound of it lapping at the shoreline as I got creative in the sand, etc. I think it would be a really moving experience, one where I could easily become relaxed and just drift off to do my own thing, knowing that it is special and unique as well. It would be even better if I was alone in the beach or river or creek as I would really feel alive and the moment would be extra special for me I believe! 

I now think it’s time to get Google up and look at finding some mandala colouring pages to print off and colour in. Thanks for sharing this activity @flybluebird 👍🏻️!

Take care and enjoy your mindfulness activity!

Judi9877☺️🐚🏝

I missed this on Monday, but I might give it a go tomorrow.. I might even try it with the kids next week. 

@AussieRecharger this would be a great mindfulness activity to try with children. Let us know how you go if you get around to it 😊

@Daisydreamer , @Rhye , @cloudcore , @flybluebird , @AussieRecharger , @Judi9877 

This brings back all the memories of when I did private childcare in my home for over 25 years  and having my 4 step children growing up with me 

We had a lots of stuff for arts and crafts , I love seeing the imagination and the creatively which was being encouraged into my 4 step children and all the other children I looked after 

When I had to do essays for my certificate I found it exciting as I saw it everyday day xoxo 

Mindful Monday Activity: 17th January

Mindfulness Jar

When you’re first starting out, mindfulness practices can seem a little overwhelming – when you’re quite accustomed to a barrage of thoughts and feelings swirling around your mind, sitting still and imagining them float on along can be a tricky practice to master!

One way to ease into and incorporate a mindfulness practice into your daily routine is by creating a mindfulness jar.

Daisydreamer_0-1642388998929.jpeg

So, what is a mindfulness jar?

Mindfulness jars (aka calm jar, galaxy jar, glitter jars) are a calming and useful tool for visualising your thoughts and feelings. When you’re feeling upset, angry, stressed, anxious etc. you shake your jar and watch the glitter slowly settle to the bottom, taking slow conscious breaths right along with it. This practice of stillness helps ease tension and provides a little moment of calm in the day.

How to make a mindfulness jar

Ingredients

• An empty, clean jar – you can use a water bottle, old jam jar or any other clear vessel with a lid.
  • Glue – a clear school glue is best.
  • Glitter – choose your favourite colour!
  • Water – preferably warm

Instructions

1. Fill your bottle about approximate 1/4 full with glue. The more glue added, the longer it takes for the glitter to settle after it’s given a shake.

2. Add glitter your glitter! Start with a small amount and more if needed.

3. Fill the rest of the bottle with warm water, leaving a small space at the top. Put your lid on and shake it to see if you need to add more glitter, glue or water.

4. When you the right measurements, secure your lid.

And there you have it! You’ve just made your own calm jar that you can now use as an additional outlet for those little moments of calm throughout your day. Remember, just like the glitter storm in the jar, thoughts and feelings can come on quick and fast, but by allowing them to be, not trying to change them, it’s just like the glitter in the jar – they will gradually settle.

Feel free to upload a photo of your calm jar, or your favourite calm jar inspiration. 

This is an example of a jar a made a while back 🙂

Homemade Blue Glitter Mindful JarHomemade Blue Glitter Mindful Jar

Tagging those who have contributed and supported this activity to date!

@Shaz51 @Rhye @AussieRecharger @Judi9877 @cloudcore @Everan @Dimity @nony @Gwynn @Anastasia @NatureLover @Appleblossom @Former-Member @Snowie @BPDSurvivor @Clawde @Bow @Emelia8 @StuF @Paperdaisy @Fluttershy1 

We have a new activity for this week above! It's all about creating a sensory jar that you can use for mindfulness 🙂 

My personal response to the activity is that it is triggering.  I am a bit too old and do not respond well to glitter.  I have had plenty of opportunity to look at settling sediment and other forms of sorting in the form of sand studies.  Might work for a younger crowd. 

Thanks but NO thanks

@Daisydreamer 

I liked the acitivity of the week before, but have decided not to do lots crafty stuff.   

It is an aesthetic that appeals tho.

Sorry to hear this has caused a trigger for you @Appleblossom
I hope you can do what it is you need in this moment to help you in that.

We understand that not all these activities are going to suit or appeal to everyone and really respect your own judgements on that.

Hope you’re OK @Appleblossom?

Oh I like this one @Daisydreamer  ive made similar things in the past for my daughter, putting all sorts of small objects in it, but didn’t know about the glue. I may give this a try, maybe even a school holiday activity for both of us. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance