Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

ClockFace
Senior Contributor

Medication and stress

Medication is a crazy thing. Im on 27 different meds. Im allergic to one med and need another (2 tablets) to deal with the side affects. I have 8 psych meds to get the right "mix" to treat my issues, even there I had a Psychotic Features and eventually a Psychotic Break. Truth told, Im not sure what meds would have prevented that given the stress I was/am under.

Im on a lot of medication in general, Im hoping that I will reduce the pain meds with my recent procedure, it has however added another pain med which basically puts me to sleep.

Not to metion side affects, its gross but most of us have to deal with constipation as a result of our meds, then ofcourse theres more meds to deal with that. I get incredible dry mouth from my meds so I am constantly drinking something, Ive tried everyy drymouth product out there and none of them work.

Stress is a major factor in my life and why my medication isnt keeping up for my psych issues. Im trying to get into a Psychiatrist but any med addition/change is going to take time to work. But Im convinced it comes down to stress, somehow I have to reduce stress in my life and I think that comes down to boundries. Me saying that I will permit these things in my life but not others. Its hard in my household. My Mum doesnt respect and refuses to respect my or anyone elses boundries. My sister isnt much better, she isnt well mentally. She has a diagnosis of BPD but thats being investigated further. But you cant tell her no, she just doesnt accept it. She will winge, bitch and harrass until she gets her way. Dad is very passive aggressive, the other two can be as well but thats his go to move.

I work in a bank dealing with Bankruptcies (mainly trustees) and that is the least stressful thing in my life I think.

Somehow going forward, regardless of who is in hospital etc I have to reduce stress. As I said I have had another Psychotic Break, this is my second and each time they are getting worse. They are drawing me in further and distingushing between reality and my "world" is getting really difficult. I really want to avoid any additional breaks. Ill be really honest, Im pretty scared of having another break, they do freak me out, but Im scared of getting lost in one and not being able to find my way out.
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Medication and stress

Do you have a close friend or family member who is wanting to be there for you and support you?

@ClockFace 

Re: Medication and stress

@Letty03 

I would think my family would want to be there but

My sister has just got out of hospital after her 2nd attempt

My Dad has no idea how to be there for me, he just doesnt get mental health

I include my Mum but Im not sure if she wants to be there or if its just too much effort. Mum is very self focused

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance