Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

ClockFace
Senior Contributor

How is SANE funded?

@Sane 

How is SANE funded? It needs more, I get that Im not saying anything new there

10am-10pm weekly is great but what about weekends and 10pm-10am. Not a dig at SANE at all but there are times outside operating hours that people need your services because there arent services like yours out there. Beyond Blue and Life Line have their mandates but I cant ring Beyond Blue about psychosis or how my pain is causing increased anxiety they are very this is what we do and we dont work outside that.

Something I love about SANE is no matter what I ring up about, if its affecting my mental health I have someone who will listen, they will provide constructive feedback and talk me through the situation. I really appreciate having someone whos there for anything. My situation is complex, probably on the more complex than others maybe not as complex as others either. But I never feel too much, and I do with the others.

Id love to see SANE get more funding so they are available 24/7 on chat and drop in service. I think it fills a void others dont come close to.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: How is SANE funded?

Hi @ClockFace 

Thank you for saying such positive things about SANE and how we work. We do try to be different and the Counsellors and Peer Support Workers work hard to provide support.

SANE is funded by the Federal Government currently but we have had various types of funding over the years.

The best way to provide feedback and support SANE to continue to provide the service and potentially expand it is to complete the feedback form here: https://www.sane.org/about-sane/policies/feedback-and-complaints-policy 

Thank you

RiverSeal

I agree weekends would help but I think the hours are not tooooo bad atm.

It is one of the better services out there imo, as well as Lifeline, in terms of meeting people where theyre at, and being non judgemental @RiverSeal @ClockFace 

@RiverSeal @EternalFlower 

I did the feedback thing. SANE doesnt seem to get the same exposure as others and while they have other programs, its like the government is hamstringing what SANE could be.

Your right SANE does a great job of meeting people where they are without judgement. 

There are services that are 24/7 so I dont understand why the government cant support SANE to be the same

Really good point there @ClockFace ! I wish that would happen too!

I REALLY encourage you to provide that feedback to https://www.sane.org/about-sane/policies/feedback-and-complaints-policy

We need more voices, otherwise we are not able to prove to those who fund SANE, that this service is vital 24/7!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance