Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

MissAnonymous82
New Contributor

Delusions vs memories

Hey all I’m new here! Thanks for having me!

I have schizophrenia which is generally well controlled with medication so I have a full time job but live alone. I also have epilepsy which is mild which means I don’t have seizures any more and don’t need medication but have memory problems. I just don’t have a very good memory.

I want to know how to tell the difference between a memory and a delusional thought. 

When I have delusions they take the form of thoughts in my head and beliefs about the world or a person. When I have memories they feel exactly the same. I try to think is this realistic? But sometimes my delusions are realistic, or plausible but they are just inaccurate mistaken beliefs. Like my mind is playing tricks on me.

I don’t trust my memory because I’m never sure if I’m remembering something correctly or having a realistic delusion. Yet I need my memory otherwise I let people down.

Can anyone help me to learn to tell the difference?

1 REPLY 1

Re: Delusions vs memories

Hi @MissAnonymous82 ,

Welcome to the forums. I wanted to come past and say hello.

I also have to be honest and say I am not well versed in this area about delusions vs memories. 

Perhaps @RiverSeal may be able to respond.

I hope you find connection and belonging on these forums!

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance