Skip to main content
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Tuppence92
Casual Contributor

13 YO with BPD 1

My daughter is newly diagnosed with BPD1. After months of sneaking out, running away, school refusal, mood swings, stealing and mania we now know it’s not because she’s a “wild” kid, but because her brain chemistry is wonky. In the past two weeks since she was diagnosed it’s been made clear that she can’t be admitted as she’s never manic enough when the ambulance turns up, the police won’t bring her home unless I tell them she’s going to harm herself (being out in the middle of the night with strangers doesn’t count apparently) or I have the option of having her charged with family violence (not happening). So while we wait for the medication to start working, it’s just a case of watch this space. Tonight she walked out the door at 11.15 and has told me she’ll be home in the morning when the buses run again. She’s turned her Life 360 tracker off. She’s supposed to go for an STD test tomorrow as she’s confessed that she’s woken up in strangers beds and not known what happened. Obviously she’s on birth control. I can’t stop her from leaving and I can’t bring her back as she runs. I just have to ride it out until she’s stable or bad enough to be admitted to hospital or old enough to be admitted to a private hospital. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: 13 YO with BPD 1

Hey @Tuppence92 

Welcome to the Forums! Thank you for sharing your story. The situation that you are in sounds incredibly traumatic for all of you and I hope that this can be a space for support.

You have a huge amount on your plate. If you ever need some space to talk, please do not hesitate to reach out to SANE's Drop-In service, too, on 1800 187 263.

There are also some good parent helplines too.

Sitting here with you 💛

Sorry to hear all this @Tuppence92 - sounds so scary!

However, I wanted to clarify, is it Bipolar Disorder 1 or Borderline Personality Disorder?

From what you are describing, it sounds like Bipolar Disorder.

The reason I'm asking is because both conditions have similar traits, but the treatment is vastly different.

Sorry Bipolar 1 😞 She’s just spent another 36 hours missing and the police have bought her home. She hasn’t slept in days and they still won’t admit her!

@Tuppence92, this sounds really difficult and confronting for you. I'm so sorry this happening like this. I imagine it's really scary as a parent. 

It sounds like the diagnosis is quite new, but the behaviour isn't, is that right? 

I think there something in particular we could work through together on the forums? For example, it seems like maybe you want to figure out how to connect with her and limit the dangerous behaviour? 

I don't want to assume what you need!  

Hi Tuppence92 - I have just found this forum and read your post from last year. I feel like our daughters are twins as we have experienced almost everything you have with your daughter. Ours also has ADHD. Thankfully some of the initial dangerous behaviours - night time sneakouts are much less, but shoplifting for thrills and weed and alcohol use to dull the emotions has increased. She is now almost 16. I think that having a formal diagnosis makes it easier to access therapy, but the long term nature of the MI is challenging for everyone. We find it's 1 step forward 2 back a lot of the time. How is your daughter now and how is your relationship? Have you been able to get a balance in your life to help you feel supported? Would love to know more of your circumstances to perhaps help each other.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance